Trojan.SafeGuard is Malwarebytes’ detection name for a Trojan that is marketed as a false anti-malware scanner.
Type and source of the infection
Trojan.SafeGuard performs a LSP hijack on infected machines.
Trojan.SafeGuard is usually installed by the users themselves as part of a bundler or as a result of aggressive marketing.
Malwarebytes protects users from Trojan.SafeGuard by using real-time protection.
Malwarebytes blocks Trojan.SafeGuard
Malwarebytes can detect and remove Trojan.SafeGuard without further user interaction.
- Please download Malwarebytes to your desktop.
- Double-click MBSetup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
- When your Malwarebytes for Windows installation completes, the program opens to the Welcome to Malwarebytes screen.
- Click on the Get startedbutton.
- Click Scan to start a Threat Scan.
- Click Quarantine to remove the found threats.
- Reboot the system if prompted to complete the removal process.
The user should be prompted to reboot at least once, because of the needed reset of the Winsock. Without a reboot, the user could potentially lose their Internet connection.
How to remove Trojan.SafeGuard with the Malwarebytes Nebula console
You can use the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Nebula console to scan endpoints.
Nebula endpoint tasks menu
Choose the Scan + Quarantine option. Afterwards you can check the Detections page to see which threats were found.
On the Quarantine page you can see which threats were quarantined and restore them if necessary.